What is Beeswax?

Beeswax is a natural wax produced by honeybees of the genus Apis. The wax is produced by young worker bees 12-20 days old, which secrete it from 8 wax producing glands located on the inner sides of their abdomen. Honeybees use the beeswax to build honeycomb cells to raise their young, to store honey and pollen.

A single bee colony can produce more than 100 pounds (45 kg) of extra honey during the foraging season. Surplus honeycomb is removed from the frames in the late summer and fall. Experienced beekeepers know how much honeycomb to keep for their honeybees for wintering, and ensuring ample food supply.

Beeswax is a sustainable product from natural renewable resource.

The wax of honeycomb is nearly white, but pollen oils and propolis change its color with time from yellows to browns.


Beeswax Brief History

The relationship between people and honeybees dates back thousands of years. The hives would be knocked down from trees or rock cliffs, and the honey was harvested when safe to do so. People later discovered that smoke from a burning stick helped subdue the bees, and therefore made honey harvesting easier and less invasive.

Ancient Egyptians valued the benefits of beeswax. They used beeswax for not only health and beauty, but also for candles, wax castings, and for the mummification process.

Today’s beekeeping relationship is a symbiotic one. Many issues have negatively affected the wonderful honey bee as well as other pollinators which include: availability and quality of food supply, farming practices, some GMO crops which may have lower nutritional value, pesticides, pests and diseases, climate change and some beekeeping practices (feeding bees an exclusive sugar water diet instead of their own honey).


Beeswax Candles

Beeswax candles have been around for over 3000 Years. Candles were primarily made from tallow or beeswax until about 1850, but subsequently have been made from spermaceti, purified animal fats (stearin), paraffin wax and most recently soybean wax.

Beeswax candles burn the cleanest, burn the longest, have the brightest flame and have a history of helping people suffering from allergies, asthma and hay fever.

Beeswax is non-toxic, non-carcinogenic, hypoallergenic and never goes rancid! Beeswax has a sweet natural honey aroma.

Troubleshooting for your Beeswax Candle

As 100% pure beeswax candles age, they will develop a natural white powdery coating on them called “bloom”. It doesn’t affect the way the candle burns. Wiping with a dry cloth or heating the candle slightly with a hair dryer can easily remove the powdery coating.

A candle with a flickering flame or creating soot, occurs when the wick becomes too long or an air current disturbs the flame (air furnaces, fans, etc.). To avoid this, always trim the wick to ¼” inch before every use and be sure to place candles away from drafts, vents or air currents.

Always follow the recommended instructions provided on the candle label.

Candle Care


All candles must have proper fire-resistant holders. We recommend using a pillar plate for all of our beeswax pillars, a votive holder for our standard votives, a taper holder for tapers, and a tea light cup/holder for tea lights. Do not burn beeswax candles in narrow glass candle holders as they require more oxygen to burn. Doing so may prevent candle from burning properly.

Candles that are not sitting straight or stable, may burn on one side only or drip wax; this can become a fire hazard.

Light the wick by tilting the candle slightly. Please note, beeswax candles take more effort to light; this is because the flashpoint of beeswax is 204.4 °C (400 °F).
*Please ensure to follow all candle burning instructions, which are provided on the label of each candle made by Pioneer Spirit.

To extinguish the candle dip the wick into the wax pool then straighten. This primes the wick for the next burn, and eliminates the smoke and smouldering of blowing out the flame.

Never leave a burning candle unattended!